2021 Components of Heart Failure Documentation [IEM]
PLEASE NOTE: You have reached the evaluation/credit claim page for this course. By completing the evaluation and credit claim you are attesting that you have completed the course in the BSWH PeoplePlace Learning System. Course reports may be obtained by the CME Department to verify your participation and completion.
If you are not already logged into your account, you must log in or register at the top of the page using "BSWH login."
Once you are logged in, you will see a button labeled
Click on the TAKE COURSE button to continue. Clicking "TAKE COURSE" will not cause you to be required to retake the course.
Overview: Components of Heart Failure Documentation
Contrary to how providers use the medical record to communicate with other providers, outside agencies use the codes generated by provider documentation to account for resources utilized and grade the care provided to the patient.
This module is designed to help providers understand the elements of HF documentation that need to be addressed in order to accurately capture the complexity of the patient with acute or chronic Heart Failure. Through examples and interactive exercises, the learner will be exposed to the three key components of Heart Failure documentation needed to address both DRG assignment as well as various Quality metrics.
Physicians and Advanced Practice Providers and Residents of the Baylor Scott & White Health System
After participating in this activity, the learner should be able to:
- Identify the key aspects of heart failure documentation.
- Recognize the automatic linkage of hypertension as the etiology of heart failure.
- Recognize some conditions that risk adjust heart failure patients
- Sunita Varghees, MD, PhD, CHCQM, VP System Clinical Documentation Improvement
- Elizabeth Aguirre, MD, Clinical Documentation Improvement Program; Inpatient Clinical Documentation Physician Lead
- Yoon Sin Kim, MD
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships:
- This content is not related to products or business lines of an ACCME-defined ineligible company.
- There are no relevant financial relationships with ACCME-defined ineligible company for anyone who was in control of the content of this activity.
No commercial support was received for this activity.
Accreditation: The A. Webb Roberts Center for Continuing Medical Education of Baylor Scott & White Health is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: The A. Webb Roberts Center for Continuing Medical Education of Baylor Scott & White Health, designates this enduring material activity for a maximum of 0.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Maintenance of Certification:
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 0.25 Medical Knowledge MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit
This CME activity type is an enduring material. Physicians who complete the enduring material may claim the full amount of credit designated for the activity, regardless of the amount of time it took the physician to complete the activity.
- 0.25 American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) MOC Part 2Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 0.25 MOC points in the American Board of Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
- 0.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The A. Webb Roberts Center for Continuing Medical Education of Baylor Scott & White Health is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 0.25 Attendance